The 3 Most Common Fire Hazards in the Home
It’s a cliché, but it bears repeating – prevention is always better than a cure.
If you suffer from a fire in the home, at Harris Balcombe, we offer a cure. Through coordinating all reparations, arranging for temporary accommodation, and liaising with your insurers to ensure you receive the settlement you deserve, we can help you to recover from the unthinkable.
However, as invaluable as our service is, we’re certain that you’d much prefer that you didn’t have to call on us in the first place. While it’s important to be prepared for the worst, it’s much more important that you do all you can to reduce the chances of a fire breaking out in the first place.
80% of deaths from fire occur in the home. Here are three key areas to focus on to ensure your family’s safety:
- Unattended Flames – The two most common culprits here are cigarettes and candles – both of which are frequently left unattended. Given that most homes are full of flammable surfaces, such as sofas, carpets, and curtains, you should never leave anything that burns unattended – not for a single minute. Don’t smoke in bed, and take care when disposing of hot ashes. The contents of ashtrays may still contain rogue embers. If tipped too early into a bin, fire can break out all too easily.
- Careless Cooking – Many house fires start in the kitchen. Just as you should never leave a naked flame unattended, you should be equally as attentive when preparing food. If you’re toasting, grilling, frying, or boiling, the process should receive your complete and undivided attention at all times. And if you’re using a cookbook, make sure not to place it too close to your hob. Finally, pay attention to what you put in the microwave. A moment’s thoughtlessness is all it takes to accidentally let a fork slip in alongside your rice.
- Electric Overload – Overloaded plug extensions can spark. If they’re placed near anything flammable – and they usually are – then fire is a very real possibility. Never place more than one high-power appliance in a single extension, and wherever possible, use surge protectors. When it comes to electrics, it’s also important that you replace cables and wires before they get frayed and worn; and if you’re buying electrical appliances second hand, make sure they’ve been tested for safety.
For more information on recovering from fires in the home, feel free to get in touch.
Call our 24/7 helpline on 0330 022 9179 for a free no obligations assessment