Candidate Pack – Chartered Surveyor – Major Loss Claims
Please click here to download a PDF version.
Welcome to Harris Balcombe
Thank you for considering a role with Harris Balcombe.
We are looking for top tier candidates to join our team which is one of the best in the industry. We are a niche business that has 140 years of history. We are now entering the next stage of our growth and need dedicated specialists to join us.
Our vision for the future is exciting. We are in a transition from an old, well- respected family business with 5 generations and shifting to a corporate outlook, but at the same time retaining our values that have served us so well. We need people who will get the job done. We do not have a formalised hierarchy and you will feel involved as part of our united, long-serving team. We are now on our growth trajectory.
One of our new roles to support this growth is a chartered surveyor who is a graduate and newly qualified with some experience. We are investing in this role as part of our succession plan. You will be joining to work alongside our Head of Complex Building Claims who will act as your mentor and equip you with the skills to eventually be able to lead the department.
If you are an ambitious chartered surveyor who wants to work hard, using and enhancing your existing skill base, but face a new, interesting and exciting challenge then please look further at our job description and package.
We reward our talent with an excellent package, career development and being part of the future success of our company.
If this sounds like a business that you would thrive in, then please forward your cv and covering letter to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, please call me on 07714674949 for an informal chat, or if you prefer, please call our HR consultant, Debbie Dear on 0795 202 3049.
CHARTERED SURVEYOR – MAJOR LOSS
Package: £45,000 in first year
Location: North London/ potentially Midlands
We are looking for a newly qualified Surveyor either from a Quantity or Building surveying background, preferable with some construction or contractor experience.
We are an insurance claims consultancy with a difference. We are loss assessors who work on behalf of the customer to ensure that they receive their full entitlement under their insurance policy and manage the claim process for them. It’s satisfying and rewarding work to help people with some of their most difficult challenges.
You will have ambition, drive and energy, alongside a strong customer service ethos. Our values of trust, loyalty and respect are key for our business.
You will need to be able to access North London initially and then there is the possibility to work from home for a few days a week.
We offer a generous package with competitive salary, bonus, company car (Mercedes C class/BMW 3 series level), and flexibility with hours to fit around family commitments as well as delivering a service to our clients.
If you think that you have the right qualities to join our successful team, please read our candidate pack on our website, www.harrisbalcome.com
If you feel you can contribute to our team, please email your CV to Alex at email@example.com
Advertising date: 23 August 2018
Closing date: 14 September 2018
|Job Title||Chartered Surveyor – Major Loss Claims|
|Report to||Head of Complex Building Claims|
|Hours||The role is 40 hours per week, but it’s not 9-5. You will need to be able to travel countrywide and sometimes
overseas and be able to work late evenings and weekends in an emergency situation to support clients. In
return you have flexibility. We don’t clock watch.
|Location||Based in Mill Hill, North London|
The information listed below will be used to select individuals in line with our recruitment policies and are our minimum requirements.
- Degree in Building Surveying, Quantity Surveying or equivalent qualification
- Chartered status with the RICS
- Experience of working for a contractor would be beneficial
- Experience of Construction preferable
- Any insurance background would be preferable BUT not essential as full training will be provided
Qualities and Skills
- Strong and effective communicator
- Ability to build, secure and maintain good relationships
- Team player
- Strong technical background
- Positive outlook and engaging personality
- Drive and energy to achieve our vision
- Commitment to excellent customer service
- Self-motivated, with a sense of fun
- Constantly striving for excellence
- Ability to juggle multiple demands and competing deadlines
- Commercial awareness
- Professional appearance and ability to act as an ambassador for the organisation
WORKING AT HARRIS BALCOMBE
It’s always hard to know what an organisation is like to work for. It is really important to us that you make the right move for your long-term career.
Rather than quoting corporate speak, we thought we would ask our staff what the culture is like and they explain it in their own words below:
Chris Edmunds, recently completed his first 12 months, commented:
“I have felt 100% supported during my first year at HB. I felt confident that clients were always receiving the right advice, but when I was ready the company really encouraged me to step out on my own and my autonomy with claims grew with my confidence.”
Alan Hintz, who has been with the company for over 20 years commented:
I am a chartered surveyor and have worked at the company for over twenty years, having previously worked in both a professional and contracting capacity within quantity surveying. I found working in the insurance industry, utilising my skills gained as a QS, a new and exciting challenge which enhanced what I had learnt which enabled me to enjoy an interesting and varied work load both in the UK and abroad. I would recommend it to any budding chartered surveyor who may be looking for something different / a specialism or change in direction – where every day is different.
Rosie O’Neill who has been at the company over two years said: “Harris Balcombe is a great company to work for. You never feel like there is a hierarchy, everyone’s opinion matters.”
Emma Broadie, the firm’s Domestic Administration assistant added: “the firm is encouraging my development with CII training and qualifications. Every option to develop and learn is available here.”
Sophie Smith commented: Clients have recommended us for our level of client care and at the end of the process have commented that they feel they have gained a new family friend. The way Harris Balcombe is; as an employer, means that it is easy to offer this service to our clients. They provide the right tools and support to enable us to offer the best client service possible. All employees breathe the company ethos of compassion, empathy and proactivity to enable an all-encompassing client care focused experience.
We have 3 simple values that have been at the heart of our business over the last 140 years.
Our clients trust us. We trust our colleagues. It’s part of our teamwork.
Our people are loyal to our business and each other. We value long-service, hard-work and commitment.
We treat each other as we would expect to be treated ourselves. We respect dignity and diversity.
We want the best people and we understand that this means offering a package that is usually better than the industry standard. We are offering a starting package of £45,000 pa.
The starting salary is likely to be in the region of £40,000 per annum – dependent upon location – potentially more for an exceptional candidate.
Recognising the need to build your case load as a new joiner, we will guarantee a first-year bonus of £5,000. We will explain more at the interview.
We offer a generous package including use of Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series.
We offer a pension scheme with a matched employer contribution of 5% after successful completion of the probationary period of 6 months.
Our core hours are 40 per week, but as with all jobs in the sector, the working hours need flexibility to complete the jobs as required for customers. In return, we don’t count hours and offer you some give and take flexibility as well.
We offer 22 days holiday plus bank holidays and this will increase one day per annum, on the start date anniversary, up to 25 days per year. Bank holidays are in addition to this amount.
Although we hope you don’t need to use it, it is reassuring to know that if you need to be off sick for major illnesses then we are able to support you with company sick pay.
We offer a private healthcare scheme for employees and provide an option for their families to join.
We offer a life assurance scheme with a benefit of 3 x salary.
We want the best people to join us so if you need to relocate, we can talk about how we can support you.
If you need to pay for child care then you can use the government salary sacrifice scheme to help you benefit from tax free childcare.
We offer some great opportunities to develop your skills and your career. We are anticipating you will have a long-term career with us and we will be happy to support your development along the way.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE JOB ROLE
Summary of Harris Balcombe LLP involvement under a Building Claim
- We agree the scope and quantum of the claim.
- We agree policy liability with the loss adjuster.
- We agree levels of alternative accommodation or the loss of rent, whichever applies.
- We check full policy terms and conditions.
- We agree full details of policy liability and policy parameters with the loss adjuster.
- Our prime role is to ensure clients receive their full entitlement under the terms and conditions of their insurance policy.
- We will represent clients’ interests and will be the point of contact between the loss adjuster, surveyor (if applicable) and contractor, if no surveyor is appointed.
- Initially a damage report may be prepared (if appropriate) or we will arrange the appointment of a surveyor to supervise the reinstatement contract.
- We will liaise with the surveyor at each stage including reviewing the specification of works to ensure all items to which you are entitled are included.
- As the works progress we will process the valuation and all contract documentation and in the event that any variations arise we will negotiate with the loss adjuster to ensure recovery in full under the claim.
- If for whatever reason, i.e client variations, an item will not be paid for as part of the claim, we will inform the client immediate, so they are not exposed financially.
- Throughout the process, on commercial claims, we will be mindful of the commercial impact of the buildings programme, and work with colleagues to protect the business.
Some specifics examples of tasks/situations might include:
- Deal with the local authorities and other statutory bodies in respect of immediate post loss safety aspects
- Input into business recovery and loss mitigation specialist works and engaging in fast track reconstruction where economically viable.
- Dealing with appointments of contract administrators, building surveyors, CDM officers for reimbursement under policy conditions where applicable.
- Where clients have already established professional/contracting team can add our expertise in the technicalities of damage restoration and policy operation – value added.
- Managing of insurance payments and cash flow to maintain insurance company funding.
- Wide rate of experience across differing industrial and commercial operations and their specific requirements.
- Listed buildings experience and working with conservation officers and English Heritage. Claim and policy operation with listed building and finance/VAT implications.
- Attendance at site and project meetings and relay of information to adjusters and Insurers to allow optimum claim recovery.
- Advice and consultation to clients and project teams on options for reinstatement to maximum claim recovery and long-term value.